In a Hurry to Die: A Poem

 In a Hurry to Die: A Poem 




Providence paused me from panic

Suddenly slowed me for a second

Out of my own automation

Into intentionality and intellect

.

I saw the world spinning

fast as my heart’s beating

Out of harmony

Devoid of serenity

.

The spirit of the age tore open his chest

His heart was a book to be read

On it was written bold letters in red

.


“We’re all in a hurry

A hurry to die

We cannot slow down

For tomorrow is nigh

.


Today is a bore

Tomorrow will be better

We can’t wait to sleep

Then we’ll be older

.


We drink until it’s poison

We eat until we’re sick

We speed down the highways

We don’t wait for the clocks to tick

.


We cannot slow down

there is too much to do

Our hearts cannot keep up

And our brains turn to goo

.


The sun does our aging

The air burns our lungs

All nature is killing us

And we can’t wait to die”

.

I closed the book

And took a deep breath

I Surveyed the beauty

The beauty around me

.

My children were playing

The birds were singing

The lizard’s sunbathing

And I found myself sitting

.

And so I sat down to live

To live in the moment

Embrace my children

Enjoy the present

.

I’m in no hurry to die

When I live on purpose

Popular Posts