Prayers: A Poem

Prayers: A Poem




Prayers feel like sand tossed in the wind

No matter how hard you throw them

They disperse and return

Bringing tears to your eyes



I am writing a letter to no address

Not sure where to send it

Or if I wrote it correct

I await a response and stand by the box



No letters from Heaven are ever returned

And my messenger angel must have been intercepted

The letters are burned

I hope the smoke sends a signal



It’s hard to believe you can live in this world

Yet send words to another dimension

Another reality outside of eternity

It takes a faith I don’t believe I possess



The Word says it simple like talking out loud

Yet deeply complex

Unattainable, unable to understand

We can make it a practice but it’s only babbling



No, I don’t pray so I can be heard

I’d be deeply disappointed, unheard, and unsure

I pray because I don’t understand how he is attentive to sinners

A king surrounded by peasants and zealots and drunkards



I pray because He tells me to

And that’s all I need

Another step into the shadows called his mystery

It’s not in the words but the heart of the matter



I can’t wait for a response for he speaks out of time

I step as he lights one foot at a time

I speak though he knows what I need before I say it

Because my desires are hidden in the language of me



My soul prays in the silent unspoken groaning

My work and my art and my daily behavior

My prayers are a riff or some hum of a melody

My heart prays when my words betray me



The spirit prays in the place of my errors

The Son intercedes on my behalf every hour

I don’t have to worry about my list of demands

Now when I pray

I pray for sisters and brothers

Popular Posts