Reflection: A Poem

Reflection: A Poem

You’re so arrogant

Pretentious

And much worse than that

You’re so smug

Self-important

behave just like a cat

.


When you walk in, we avoid you

Deep down you know that it’s true

When you speak we ignore you

Most of us don’t have a clue


What to do

With your stew

Old yet new

Always blue

Worn out shoe

Bad hairdo

Hell, just look at you


It’s so clear, the mask of perfection

A facade in the form of a smile

But we know the truth all the while

It’s a mask for your own protection

.

Your need for attention

Provocative

It just isn’t right

You are cruel

And obnoxious

Though you seem so composed

.

Why go through the trouble

Of getting out of bed?

Only to be hated

Before you wind up dead

This is what I hear from their spirits

You see

From their words, looks, and behavior

Directed toward me

… … … …

Then my reflection shrugged his shoulders

Walked away from his station

Left me standing alone

To interpret this vision

.

Stepped into the shower

Upturned my palms

lifted eyes to the heavens

Tears started to fall

.

I asked of my Father

“Please hold me down

Heavy as an anchor

so I shall not be moved”


Popular Posts