When It Escapes You: A Poem

When It Escapes You



I caught lightning in a bottle

But it shattered through the glass

I held the wind in my hand

Before it slipped through the cracks



I had no chance to show it

I had no chance to gloat

Just the sweet remorse of a moment

A moment gone too soon



To think what could have happened

If I’d only been able to contain it

To use it at that moment

What will never be again



So if I catch lighting in a bottle

Or rushing wind in my hand

It won’t be the same as the one before

I’ll feel it nevermore



Is there use in fretting over what wasn’t?

I guess there is no point

Nevertheless, I write this poem

To satisfy my grief



I can’t help but mourn an opportunity

Missed by mere distraction


motors buzzing

Voices chattered

Urgent chiming

Windows shattered

Fingers tapping

Words demanded

The locomotive moving quickly

Couldn’t get a sense of direction

Thought of jumping

But lost conviction



It took all-day

to slow back down

To keep from spinning

round and round



I found a ticket

in my pocket

Looks like I’m boarding

again tomorrow



As I lay me down tonight

I’m dreading that awful ride

scared I’ll miss the lightning bolt

Again moving too fast



Next time I’m jumping off the train

Bottle and lid in hand

There’s nothing more important

That catching lightning in my hand



It’s hard to tell when it’s coming

So I have to be prepared

No more chasing after the wind

When there is power in the storm


Popular Posts